It seems like the egg muffin was the health food rage of 2014. Am I right? That, and protein powder baked goods. But back to the egg muffin…I get it; it’s smart, packed with protein, filled with veggies, and really convenient. I made them a lot. So after a while I needed to make something new.
To change things up a bit I decided to deconstruct the muffin. Instead of mixing everything together I packed my muffin tin with sweet potatoes, and then cracked an egg on top. It turned out to make these adorable eggs in a nest.
Is that weird when I think food is adorable?
As a mom, I have to tell you, making adorable food is genius. You can get your kids to eat almost anything! My 6 year old hates sweet potatoes, but make them into a nest and he’s asking for a second helping. More important than being adorable, these are really tasty.
- coconut oil
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 12 Tbsp salsa
- 12 eggs
- Lightly grease a 12 muffin tin.
- Shred the sweet potato, using either a food processor or cheese grater.
- Mix the potato and onion together.
- Line the bottom of each muffin cup with the sweet potato mixture, pressing the sweet potato up the sides of the cup.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of salsa into each cup, on top of the sweet potato.
- Crack an egg into each cup.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 15-20 min for a runny yolk.
- Continue to bake for 5 more minutes for a solid yolk.