Almost nothing compares to a really good bowl of chili on a freezing cold wintry day.
Of course I’ve made it paleo, and swapped out all the traditional beans with nutrient dense vegetables. Then I threw in bacon for good measure, and to make everything extra delicious. My favorite time to eat this chili is after a long day of snowboarding. I can throw this together in the morning, and have it simmering away all day. It is so nice to come home with dinner ready, and the house smelling amazing.
You mix everything together in a crockpot, and all the meat is already cooked, so you might be tempted to eat it right away, but don’t! Cooking this in the crockpot all day will cook out the acidic taste of the tomatoes. The spices will come together, and everything will taste so good! Remember to PIN this recipe for later!
- 3 dates
- 1 - 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 package sugar free bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash chipotle
- salt & pepper
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ - ½ c stock, beef or chicken
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- Toppings: avocado, bacon, green onion, cilantro
- Put dates into a cup and add enough water to completely cover dates. Microwave for 1 minute. Allow dates to soak until needed.
- Over medium heat brown ground beef. Remove from skillet and set aside. Drain and discard anything left in skillet.
- Over medium heat cook chopped bacon, tossing occasionally to cook evenly on all sides. Remove from skillet, and place cooked bacon on a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Reserve bacon grease from pan.
- Warm 4 tbsp of reserved bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Toss chopped onion, peppers and carrots in oil and allow to cook until onion becomes translucent.
- Remove dates from water. Remove pits from dates. Finely chop dates.
- Stir in all all spices, dates, tomato paste and garlic into the vegetables. Allow to cook until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Deglaze skillet with stock.
- Add ground beef, bacon, vegetable mixture, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce to crock pot. Stir everything together and cook on low for 6+ hours.
- Serve warm with toppings and enjoy!