I know a kale salad doesn’t seem all that exciting, and it’s not going to just jump of the screen and make your mouth water. But, this salad is so so delicious I hope I can convince you with just my words that you want to make this salad. You want to make it right now and eat it for dinner. You’ll want to make extra so you’ll have leftovers for lunch. What can I say? My kids even asked for seconds, which is crazy when you remember this is kale salad. Okay, I slipped bacon in there, and you know that makes the crowds go a little wild. But hey, it’s kale salad. Go ahead and go crazy. Okay?
It seems like kale hit the fit foodie world a few years ago, and it’s gone from being hip and cool, to now it’s just about everywhere. Kale chips, kale smoothies, kale salads, now it’s just common place. Whether its hip, cool or common one reason you should be eating kale is its rich in calcium. If you’re like me, and can’t tolerate dairy, kale is your friend. It has about ½ the calcium (gram per gram) compared to regular old milk.
One way to eat your kale greens is in this delicious Bacon Salad with Sweet Onion Dressing. I’m on a sweet onion dressing kick lately, but only because it is SO delicious. When my kids are asking for seconds on salad I know I found a winner.
The best part of this salad is I found pre-washed, pre-cut kale in a bag at Costco. I love when you can throw a dish together in a matter of minutes! Here I served this salad as a side dish. Try serving it with my Balsamic Pulled Pork, Skillet Steak Bites or Grilled Tilapia. Or you could easily add some grilled chicken and call it a meal. For the mayo in the dressing I always use DIY Paleo Mayo. It tastes so much better than the stuff in a jar. I’m never going back.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as we did!
- 1 package of bacon
- Kale, loosely chopped, several handfuls
- Coleslaw mix, several handfuls
- 1 C Carrot shreds
- 1 C Raisins
- ¼ Red onion, chopped
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 C DIY Paleo mayo
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Splash of water or coconut milk
- Chop bacon into small bite sized pieces. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Rotate bacon in pan so all sides are cooked. Cook for approximately 7 minutes or until done to your liking. Set bacon aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Mix kale, coleslaw, carrot shreds, raisins and red onion.
- For the dressing:
- Soak dates in hot water until soft. To speed up softening microwave dates in water for 30 seconds. Remove dates from water and smash with a fork until dates have a paste-like consistency.
- Whisk dates, mayo, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder together.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Thin dressing to your liking using water or coconut milk.
- Top salad with bacon, and serve with dressing.