Rich broccoli soup, creamed with sweet potato, it’s light, filling and is the perfect comfort soup.
Right out of the shoot I have to admit this has been my husband’s favorite soup, and not so much mine. He LOVED it, and asked that I make it again soon. He took the leftovers to work for lunch. Honestly, I was a little surprised. Me? I thought it was good, don’t get me wrong. I really like broccoli, but it doesn’t land on my favorite 5 veggies ever. I ended up adding hot sauce to mine, well…because you know me and hot sauce. J
I like this recipe because it’s easy to tweak to meet your dietary needs. If you’re following strict Paleo or Whole30 guidelines top this soup with something compliant like bacon, onions, a drizzle of olive oil or coconut milk, all of those would taste amazing. If you’re limiting carbs try swapping out the potato for coconut milk. You’ll get the same creamy texture, more fat and less carbs that way. Turn this into a complete meal by adding some rotisserie chicken or my Simple Skillet Chicken. I did that for lunch yesterday, and it was so delicious I’m doing the same again today.
In this recipe I simply call for chicken broth, and I should mention I make my own broth all the time. It tastes SO good, and is hand over fist light years beyond store bought broth. It makes such a difference in recipes. It adds layers and layers and layers of flavors. I wrote instructions for homemade broth HERE in my Chicken Soup recipe where I simply use a rotisserie chicken. It is so easy, and delicious. Once I make broth I portion it out into 1 C servings in ziplock bags, then store them in the freezer until I need them. Don’t feel like you need to use homemade broth, what you can buy in a carton is just fine too.
Find my recipe for creamy broccoli soup below, and leave a comment on what soup toppings are your favorite!
- 1 T avocado oil
- ½ Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 C vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 medium white sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 oz broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 - 2 C water
- 1 scallion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 T coconut milk (optional)
- 1 T avocado or olive oil (optional)
- In a large skillet warm the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, and cook for 20 seconds or until it becomes fragrant. Then, stir in the broth before the garlic gets too brown. Bring the broth to a simmer then turn head down to med-low to maintain a low simmer.
- Add sweet potato, pepper and salt. Allow to simmer for about 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in broccoli and continue to cook for about 8 more minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Place part of soup mixture into a blender and pulse until fully combined. Add water to achieve desired consistency. Pour into a large bowl and repeat with remaining soup mixture.
- Return soup to the pan and allow to warm over med-low heat for approximately 5 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with scallions, shallots, coconut milk and/or oil.