I know there are already a kajillion pumpkin soup recipes already out there. I know. But this one is so FAST, so EASY, so DELICIOUS, so CREAMY, and still healthy, I just had to share.
Truth is this recipe was born out of desperation. The other night I was planning to cook a roasted butternut squash soup. I had purchased the already peeled and diced butternut squash from Costco to make life a little easier. Unfortunately when I pulled it out of the fridge it had started to mold days before its sell by date. Grrr! Since I had all the other ingredients on hand, and had soup in mind, I decided to press forward and see what I could substitute for the squash. I started rummaging through my fridge and pantry.
Ah ha! Pumpkin.
So pumpkin it is.
I really really love this recipe. The curry powder adds a buttery richness. The creaminess comes from coconut milk. This soup is so healthy and clean. Perfect for fall nights. If you need to make this vegan, just simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. This soup would be perfect to serve for any of the holidays this year, Halloween, Thanksgiving or even Christmas. PIN this recipe now to your holiday boards, just hover over any picture and pin!
Enjoy, xo – Tiffany
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 14ozcan coconut milk
- 3 - 4 C chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 29oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot/pan over medium/med-high heat. Place onion into pot and saute until onion turns translucent. Season with a little salt while cooking.
- Add coconut milk, stock, and curry powder, while stirring together. Add only 3 C of stock, reserving 1 C.
- Pour onion/stock mixture into a blender and pulse until onions are pureed. Pour puree back into soup pot.
- Turn heat to low and add salt, pepper and pumpkin puree, stirring together.
- Add reserved stock to soup for desired consistency and taste.
- Serve soup warm. Add green onion and pomegranate for garnish.