This post contains affiliate link(s) and/or sponsored content. Thanks for reading and thanks for all of your support!
A sweet potato frittata that’s so quick to make you can make it even during the workweek (even though it is the weekend).
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but lately I’m cooking everything in a skillet. I can’t help myself. The quicker meal clean up is, the better. And I’m extra happy if there’s only one pan to clean. Speaking of quick, I like it even more when you can cook a meal in under 20 minutes. This is so important, especially during the workweek. Which is how my “Fast Frittata” was born.
Typically frittatas start out cooking over a burner, and then you put them in the oven to bake for an additional 20+ minutes. They’re so good, that I’ve happily obliged waiting for a frittata during many weekends. But it’s never been fast enough for a weekday.
I solved that problem by using just a little less egg, and cooking it on the stove top while covered with a lid. I added some water to the skillet, which creates steam to cook the top, while simultaneously keeping the bottom from getting burned.
The best part is this frittata is not only Whole30, but Paleo and macro friendly as well. Basically keeping everyone happy in all the camps I subscribe to.
When I use sweet potato I prefer to cut it with my spiralizer. It is so fast, literally seconds. It also cuts the sweet potato pretty thin, so it cooks quickly.
I topped my frittata with a healthy amount of Cholula Hot Sauce. I don’t know if you recently saw on Instagram where I posted about a contest they’re holding. You can win a YEARS WORTH OF CHOLULA. Find my post here for the details and go and enter. I’d love to see your pictures, so comment to let me know when you post!
(Some people have asked if Cholula is Whole30 compliant, and yes, some flavors are like the Garlic flavor in my picture, read your labels.)
Find the recipe for my Fast Sweet Potato Frittata below and tell me what your favorite breakfasts are in the comments!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, spiralized
- 4 eggs
- 1 C egg whites
- salt pepper
- 1 avocado
- hot sauce
- In a medium sized skillet warm oil over medium-high heat. Toss onions in oil and allow to cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in minced garlic, and allow to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir water, enough to barely cover the bottom of the skillet. Toss in spiralized sweet potato. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 3 min or until sweet potato softens to your liking.
- Crack open 4 eggs on top of sweet potato. Check level of water, if most of the pan is dry add another splash of water. Pour egg whites on top. Turn heat down to lmedium-low. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 7-10 min or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Top with sliced avocado, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Enjoy!