Herb roasted chicken is fancy enough for your Christmas dinner, yet easy enough to cook that you’re not spending all day in the kitchen.
I’ve always been a little intimidated by roasting a full chicken or turkey. I’m not sure why, it just seemed overwhelming I guess. Then a few weeks ago a friend of mine found whole chickens on such a good sale I decided to buy a few and try out a few roasted chicken recipes. To my surprise, it is incredibly easy to roast a chicken. Other than a few simple prep steps, the oven does all the work. Give it a try, you’ll impress your holiday guests. And one of the best parts is the amazing aroma that will fill your home!
I bet you’ll be so impressed yourself that roasted chicken will become a staple meal in your home. For my family, and plenty of left overs I used two 2.5lb chickens. Both birds fit on my 12-Inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. You could also cook a larger 5lb chicken, and the recipe with the same cook time should still work.
Merry Christmas Friends!
xo ~ Tiffany
*There are affiliate links in this post, where Whole Fork earns a small commission when you purchase products through those links. These links in no way change the price of the products you purchase. Thank you for your support!
- 3-4 tbsp melted ghee
- 5 lbs whole chicken (or two 2.5 lb chickens)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh sage
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh sage, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425⁰F.
- Lightly grease a large cast iron skillet, or roasting pan with some of the ghee.
- If necessary remove chicken giblets, any excess fat and leftover feathers.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out, then pat dry the outside.
- Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken, and stuff with the whole sprigs of rosemary and sage.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the remaining ghee. Rub the pressed garlic onto the chicken. Season with salt, pepper and the chopped rosemary and thyme.
- Roast the chicken for about 45 min, use a thermometer to ensure chicken reaches 165⁰F.
- Removed from oven, cover with aluminum foil, and allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes.