Rich, “buttery” Colcannon is a mix of mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage, a classic Irish dish that will change your ideas about cabbage forever. Fun to serve during St. Patrick’s Day.
Since I started eating healthy food what’s really happened is I started cooking like my grandmother. My diet has gone back to cooking the basics. Fully unprocessed. I’ve found that when I don’t know what to eat, the best way to find something delicious and healthy is to look up old, traditional dishes. And that’s exactly what Colcannon is…basic, traditional, whole food ingredients at their finest.
This Irish Colcannon has minimal ingredients and yet is loaded with flavor. I used white sweet potatoes for added fiber and nutrients. I also added a small amount of garlic, because I used about 1/2 the amount of fat (ghee instead of butter) all the recipes were calling for, which means I needed to make up for the missing flavor somewhere else. Garlic did the trick. I have this pot that has 2 steaming baskets in it. It’s perfect for this dish. Technically it called a “pasta steamer”, but I have found other uses for this pot that make it quite handy! The potatoes and cabbage can steam at the same time and only take up one burner on the stove. I usually don’t like to steam 2 things at the same time because they’re flavors get mixed, but in this case since they’re going into the same dish it works perfectly.
Also, if you use a food processor or blender to “mash” your potatoes they come out extra creamy without adding cream of any sort. All of that equals total comfort food that you won’t feel guilty or bloated about.
I made this days ago and my husband kept talking about it long after dinner. That night he literally mentioned at least 3 more times how amazing dinner was. This recipe is definitely a keeper you’ll want to have on your holiday Pinterest board. Hover over any image and a pin button will appear.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- 3 white sweet potatoes
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 4 Tbsp ghee
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 4 scallions, chopped
- handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into very large pieces, about 3-4 pieces per potato. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until they're soft when poked with a fork.
- Cut cabbage into large pieces and steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft when poked with a fork.
- In a food processor pulse cabbage a few times until it is roughly chopped. Remove and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel skin off potatoes. Skin should almost fall of the potato when touched. In a food processor whip potatoes with ghee and garlic.
- Add scallions to potatoes, pulse a few times to combine.
- Stir potatoes in with the cabbage.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley and serve while hot. Top with a dab of ghee if desired.