I love adding protein to pancakes. It keeps me fuller longer, and gives my muscles a much needed dose of protein after my morning workouts. I tend to use Kodiak Cakes for the pancake mix. Then when I top the whole thing with fruit it makes for a pretty balanced meal, and hits my macros juuuuust right.
I love balancing macros. I don’t know why, but I feel like it’s a puzzle game. And at the end of the day if I can fit all the pieces together it makes me happy, like I just won the game.
Silly, I know. Its just the little things.
Lately one of my favorite ways to top my pancakes is with 5g of powdered sugar and then a squeeze of lemon. And yep, I’m a health food blogger that just dusted my pancakes with powdered sugar. And here’s why I’m okay with that…a dust of powdered sugar (about 1 tsp) is 10 calories.
Add a squeeze of fresh lemon and you basically have lemon syrup!
It is seriously one of my favorites, and it’s not breaking my macro bank at all.
Can I add a little side note here. You may have noticed the radio silence here over the last couple weeks. I had my youngest off track, and then my two oldest had spring break. I get pretty distracted when my family is all home, and I love it.
We didn’t go anywhere special, or do anything, which is not really the norm for us. We just had fun at home, and it was nice!
And on another tangent, pictures are deceiving. I don’t know if you can tell how little that hand is, but my 3rd grader was helping me last week with photography while he was off track. Getting them to help me with whatever I was doing was seriously the only way I was going to get anything done!
Okay, that’s it for my rambling. Back to the recipe!
The recipe is written using a scale for measuring, which is what you should be using anyway if you’re counting macros. You’ll notice I add two eggs. Don’t try and out smart this recipe and do something funny like using only egg whites. You’ll need the fat in the yolk or your pancakes will be dry and gross. Trust me. I used a whey protein powder, and I recommend doing that for this recipe. Speaking of the recipe…hover over any image to pin this, or find the print button below!
- 35 g Kodiak Cakes, pancake mix
- ½ - 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Spray olive oil
- 5 g powdered sugar
- ¼ lemon
- finely shredded lemon peel
- 100 g strawberries
- Whisk together the Kodiak Cakes pancake mix, protein powder, eggs and enough water to make the batter runny. Whisk in the vanilla.
- In a skillet over medium heat spray the skillet with olive oil. Pour the batter into 3-6 circles onto the skillet and allow to cook until bubbles form on the top of the pancake. Then flip over with a spatula and allow the other side to cook for approximately 1 min.
- Dust pancakes with powdered sugar, top with a squeeze of lemon juice, lemon peel and strawberries.