It’s no secret, I love breakfast. At first I thought breakfast was the most challenging meal to make healthy. The Standard American Diet promotes grain filled cereals doused in pasteurized milk. Who wouldn’t love a bowl of sugar swimming in sweet, creamy milk?
My gut, that’s who.
Okay, so how does one skip the cereals and pastries and instead add vegetables to breakfast? This idea is pretty foreign for any American. Vegetables are really outside of the norm in breakfast for us. This spiralized yellow squash topped with a steamed egg is really simple, and really tasty. This is the perfect way to start out your day.
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 egg
- Pinch of fresh basil
- Spiralize yellow squash with the flat blade.
- Melt ghee in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic, tossing in oil and allowing to become fragrant.
- Toss squash in with ghee and cook for a few minutes to soften. Remove squash, and plate.
- Add an egg to the same sauté pan. When the egg white turns opaque on the bottom add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 4 minutes for a runny yolk.
- Plate egg on top of yellow squash, season with salt, pepper and basil. Serve and enjoy.