For some reason I’m rarely in the mood for salad during winter. However, I had some pomegranates I needed to do something with. When I say “some” I actually mean I had an entire flat of 9 pomegranates from Costco! I know that’s a ton of fruit, just call me the pomegranate piggy. They were only $9.99 for the entire flat, and I’ve never seen pomegranate prices that good.
I couldn’t resist. It was like being in the middle of a crazy shoe sale, and I had a really hard time not buying a second flat. I knew next time I was at Costco the pomegranates wouldn’t be there, and sadly I was right.
The fresh taste of pomegranate begs to be put in a salad. I thought those beautiful, sweet, red pearls would be the perfect addition to this chicken and purple onion salad. Turns out I was 100% correct. I love being right, don’t you?!
Yes, it’s okay to eat this salad in the dead cold of winter. As long as pomegranates are in season I say let’s keep eating salad!
Hope you enjoy!
- Prewashed salad mix
- ¼ purple onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut
- pomegranate seeds
- 1 date, pitted
- ¼ C mayo
- ⅛ C apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- For the salad: Layer salad mix with purple onion, chicken and pomegranate seeds.
- For the chicken I used rotisserie chicken, but you can easily use grilled or even canned.
- For the dressing: If date needs to be softened put it in a small cup and cover date with water. Microwave for 30 seconds and remove from water. Repeat until softened.
- In a food processor combine date, mayo, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust spices if necessary.
- Serve salad topped with dressing.