I typically cook up a huge skillet like this over the weekend, and my kids are extra happy if I include some bacon. Isn’t everyone happy when we include some bacon? Since starting Whole30 we have done countless versions of this dish. Adding different vegetables, meats and seasonings can completely transform the taste. You can easily shred your sweet potatoes using a grater or food processor. I prefer to use my Paderno Spiralizer because it is SO FAST, and the noodle shapes are fun.
I recommend using this spiralizer because the blades are sharp enough to cut through dense vegetables like sweet potatoes with no problem at all. *Yes I get a very very small compensation if you purchase it through my link (thank you!). However, I purchased my own Spiralizer and will only recommend products I use myself and that I’m willing to spend money on.
Back to the dish…I once cooked this while my entire family was up camping in the Tetons in Wyoming. I ended up converting about 5 people over to Whole30 because they found even though the dish is really healthy they weren’t compromising on taste. And if you’re one that loves breakfast for dinner this is a perfect one to try. I hope you like it!
- 1 - 2 slices of bacon
- ⅛ onion, chopped
- ½ - 1 sweet potato, spiralized or grated
- 1 - 2 eggs
- splash of water
- chives or other fresh herb
- Over medium to medium-high heat cook bacon in a large skillet. When cooked to your liking remove from pan.
- Leave bacon grease in the pan unless you have cooked several pieces. Leave approximately 1 - 2 Tbsp of grease in pan and remove the rest.
- Cook onion in the remaining bacon grease, until onion turns translucent.
- Toss spiralized potato in bacon grease to evenly coat potato.
- Crack eggs on top of potatoes.
- Add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid. The moisture will steam the sweet potatoe and eggs. Cook for approx. 5 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking. *note cooking time may vary depending on your skillet and how many servings you are preparing. If pan gets dry but eggs are not cooked add another splash of water and continue cooking.
- Top with bacon crumbles, salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Enjoy!