This post may have been sponsored and/or contain affiliate links.
Perfectly balanced meal with zesty taco flavored turkey burgers served with plenty of veggies.
I can’t believe how fast this month has flown by. There have been a ton of new visitors here, and I’m guessing most of you have New Year’s resolutions to eat healthier. January Traffic = Goal Getters. The good news is you’ve come to the right place! You will only find recipes made with whole foods here. Most of my recipes are considered Paleo, and most of those are Whole30 compliant!
My New Year’s resolutions have included a round of 30 days eating strictly Paleo (Basically to kill the sugar cravings I’ve had since the holidays). I’m on day 18 of cleaning up my diet (no sugar, no legumes, no processed foods, no dairy, no grains) and I’m excited to be collaborating with Jennie-O to bring you some delicious, new recipes, like these Taco Turkey Burgers using Jennie-O Ground Turkey.
One of my other goals is to work up to 5-6 days a week doing Crossfit. I started doing Crossfit a couple months ago for 3 days a week, and I’m completely hooked. I’ve slowly up’d that to at least 4 days, with snowboarding almost every Saturday. Still progressing. For all my activity eating enough food is crucial. Most experts agree you should eat somewhere between 0.8-1.25 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight (daily).
I’ll admit, these turkey burgers were so delicious, eating enough protein was no problem at all! This recipe is pretty easy. The lime juice is essential, not only for that taco flavor, but it will keep the turkey from getting dry. The leftover burgers kept well in the fridge for a couple days and would be easy to cook in large batches for meal prep. Pin this recipe by hovering over any picture. And stay tuned for more whole food recipes!
- 16 oz Jennie-O Ground Turkey
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 head of red leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- In a medium bowl combine turkey with all the spices, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Split the turkey into 4 equal parts and shape each one into a patty, making the center of each patty slightly thinner than the edges.
- Warm 1 Tbsp in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until they brown on the bottom and ½ way up the sides. Flip over and cook the other side until the patties are browned all the way through.
- While the turkey burgers are cooking, in another skillet warm the remaining oil over medium heat. Sautee the onion until it becomes translucent. Stir in the garlic and peppers. Cook for a few minutes or until peppers have softened to your liking.
- Serve burgers on top of a bed of lettuce with peppers and tomatoes on the side. Top with avocado slices, and more lime juice if desired.